Have you set achievable goals in your life? It is always easy to set goals but achieving them is an uphill task. We all need an accountability partner for achieving greater success.
Have you set any goals in your life? Are they achievable or imaginary? Are you struggling to meet them? Do you struggle with self-motivation? Goals give you a sense of direction and we need them in life if we are to achieve success.
If you’re struggling, then this is the right time to engage an accountability partner.
An accountability partner will help you improve your life in numerous ways. They will ensure that your growth curve is on an upward trend. Once you attain your success, they will celebrate with you.
Why do you need an Accountability Partner?
An accountability partner is someone who helps you to keep track of your goals. We set different kinds of goals in life from financial, body fitness, personal and educational goals. It is very easy to set goals in life but achieving them takes personal discipline, hard work and persistence. It is good to be accountable to someone so as to avoid falling back from reaching your target.
Your accountability partner is like a coach. When selecting one, ensure that the person is at a higher level in terms of success. Your accountability partner or coach should be a person who is knowledgeable about your area of interest. They must have walked the path you are about to take. Your partner should be a person of integrity, highly dependable and willing to walk with you. You must also be able to relate to your accountability partner freely.
You can pick a partner from your family circles, a friend or a mentor. Always request them beforehand about your intention and clearly state your needs before you can start working together.
There are several reasons why you need an accountability partner as stated below.
- To curb procrastination: Procrastination is the greatest thief of time. It is the act of postponing an action without any good reason. If you walk with the right accountability partner, you will be able to overcome this elephant called procrastination. A good partner will assist you to meet deadlines and help you overcome obstacles. Procrastination leads to regrets.
“Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.” Mark Twain.
- To ensure that you are on the right path: A good accountability partner will ensure that you follow the set route for your goals. Your partner will give you honest feedback and advice you when you err. They will spot your weak areas and help you to enhance your strong points. Your partner will also offer an alternative if you hit a snag. It is always important to let your partner know when things stop running as planned.
- To ensure that you are always motivated: Your partner should be your greatest cheerleader. They should keep you highly motivated, inspired and determined to reach your set goals. They should also encourage you when your journey gets tough and offer the necessary support.
- To ensure that you meet your goals: Goals without a timeline are just dreams. Pursue your goals and have an accountability partner to assist you to reach your destination. All goals should be SMART. This stands for Specific, Manageable, Achievable, Realistic and Achievable. If it lacks any of these characteristics, then it ceases to be a goal. Your partner will help you monitor your progress and ensure that you are on a good track. It is good to write your goals for ease of reference.
- Two are better than one: Walking with a person you are accountable to makes the journey very fulfilling. Your accountability partner will give you pressure and expect you to meet deadlines as agreed. Walking with someone is easier than walking alone. Self-discipline will be important since you will not expect your manager to keep pushing you so as to improve your own life.
- They make you accountable for your actions: Your manager will keep a tab of your actions and push you to meet deadlines. They will monitor your progress and ensure that you are moving forward. They will not watch as you make mistakes and dwindle. Your accountability partner will help you to get out of your comfort zone.
“Accountability breeds response-ability”, Stephen Covey.
Most of the successful people in the world have accountability partners. It is important to have someone who you can be answerable to on your road to success. Always work with an accountability partner because it is easier to account to someone than to account to yourself.
Your accountability manager should only direct your path to success but not initiate. This means that you have to clearly know what you want. Define your success goals and let your partner assist you to achieve them.
You can also aspire to become another person’s accountability manager. This will enable you to sharpen your skills and improve your knowledge.
It will also go a long way in improving your self-esteem and confidence. Go for it and help yourself as you help another person.