How to Keep Your Kid’s Teeth Healthy
Many parents have a difficult time determining how much dental care their children need. They would like to prevent cavities as early as possible, but they do not know the best way to do it.
So how do you keep your kid’s teeth healthy? It involves a lot of things that include brushing their teeth, visiting a dental clinic, and supervising them when brushing.
These are just a few of the things you need to do to keep your kid’s teeth healthy. To learn more in detail, keep this article reading.
When should children start brushing their teeth?
Good dental care starts even before the first tooth appears. Although you can’t see the tooth, it does not mean the teeth are not there or you should not keep your kid’s teeth healthy.
Studies show that babies have around 20 primary teeth at birth. Here are a few tips on how to keep your kid’s teeth healthy.
- Before the baby starts teething, you can run a clean moist cloth over the gums. This helps to clear any harmful bacteria.
- Once the baby gets teeth, make sure you brush them with the infant toothbrush. Make sure to use a very tiny bit of toothpaste.
- At age 2, your little one should know how to spit while brushing.
- Always supervise your kids while brushing. This is to ensure they do not swallow the toothpaste.
Keep in mind that babies can get tooth decay. Hence, avoid practices such as putting a baby to sleep with a milk bottle. It can harm his or her teeth.
Remember that sugars from milk, juice, and other substances that stay on kid’s teeth for hours can be harmful to the teeth.
When should children start visiting the dental clinic?
To keep your kid’s teeth healthy, your need to visit a dental clinic often. Visiting a dental clinic is essential for both young kids and adults. It helps to keep the teeth healthy and the dentist can treat any oral problem as soon as possible.
So, when should children start visiting the dental clinic? Dentists advise parents to take their kids to the dental clinic after their first birthday. At the first visit, you will be taught the proper flossing and brushing techniques. Also, the dentist will perform an advanced exam on your baby’s teeth.
One benefit of these visits is to help find oral problems early and help your children get used to visiting the dentist. Therefore, it is vital to visit a dental clinic that specializes in children’s dental health.
For example, if your child is at risk for cavities, your dentist will start working on it right away.
How can you prevent cavities?
Cavities occur when food and bacteria are left on your teeth after eating. Happily, there are many ways on how to prevent cavities. Below are a few ways on how you can prevent cavities and to keep your kid’s teeth healthy.
1. Begin good oral practices early – the best strategy that will ensure your kids are safe from cavities is starting oral habits early. This means they should brush their teeth twice a day.
2. Avoid some foods – The other way to prevent cavities is to limit food such as juices, sugary foods, and candy. But if they eat those foods, make sure they rinse their mouth or brush their teeth to get rid of the sugar.
3. Get enough fluoride – another way to prevent cavities is by using fluoride to toughen the enamel. Happily, most toothpaste has fluoride. However, it is essential to use one recommended by your dentist.
To Keep your kid’s teeth healthy and clean, you need to follow the above tips. This will ensure they have strong teeth and prevent cavities.
Therefore, as your kids grow, plan routine dental checkups. Also, make sure they brush their teeth twice a day, get enough fluoride, and avoid eating sugary food. Hence, make sure you work with your dentist to have good dental health.